10112 105 Avenue
Fort St John, BC V1J 4S4
The Student Support Services department is dedicated to providing services to assist students to develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge required to successfully participate in educational experiences. We provide indirect and direct service to the student and/or the school community. Our collective knowledge, skills, energy, creativity and empathy support and nurture this process.
At present, we provide support through the following itinerant and support staff positions: elementary counseling, educational psychology, visually impaired, deaf and hard of hearing, inclusion, ESL/ESD, physiotherapy, speech and language, Reading Recovery, learning resources, and administration. Support for gifted students will be included for September 2004.
Our philosophy is consistent with our District’s mission statement, “Together, We Learn” and with that of the Ministry of Education and the Special Education Programs Branch. Our own department’s mission statement, “Achieve ~ Believe ~ Create!” demonstrates our commitment towards appropriate education and achievements for all children.
The success of our support is dependent on a common vision of education based on the following beliefs:
• Children are individual learners with diverse needs and skills
• Learning occurs at different rates and at different ways
• Diversity is valued and respected
• Each child has their own set of cultural, educational, social, and family experiences that impacts on their success
• Learning occurs in the least restrictive environment
• Supportive, caring community
• Collaboration occurs through respectful, supportive, and proactive cultures
• Family support and community networks are embraced
• Process to understand student strengths and needs to establish educational goals
Capacity Building of Supportive Teams
• Professional and productive learning communities
• Specific workshops and in-service for professional development
• Current research on best-practice, high-yield strategies, appropriate interventions
• Dynamic process of consultation, modeling, and coaching
• Proactive process for seamless transition
Please see http://www.prn.bc.ca/ls/?page_id=11 for contact information.