Students can create a variety of projects using Stop Motion, but using it to illustrate their poetry, can allow to students demonstrate their own perspective through visuals. Creating an audio bite and back drops can established the mood of the poem.
Poems which contrast things are most effective. Also Poems which have action words can be used.
Some Suggestion of Poems:
Haiku, Tanka, Cinquain, Quinzaine, Diamante or Contrast
Example of a Diamante:
Collaborative Writes Benefit all Students
- Collaboration strengthens writing skills and improves Communication
- Sense of Responsibility to complete a task improves growth in Personal Awareness
- Sharing of Ideas with a diversity of opinions and styles promotes Positive Personal and Cultural Identity
- Sharing of Expertise with Peer Editing develops Critical Thinking Skills
*Bolded Core Competencies
Using the iPads, collaborative writing can happen easily in the Google Environment.
Students can use either Google Slide or Google Docs to create and share the writing assignment.
Forms of Writing
Persuasive Writing (debate) using Google Slides or Docs
- A pair of students choose to debate a topic on the same document.
- Give Topics such as “Every child should or should not have a tracking device placed on them” or “Curfews”, “Uniforms” etc.
- One student creates the doc/slide and shares to partner
- When completed the writing, the students would edit, giving a strong argument for one, or decide to let the reader choose (more of a editorial write)
Research Writing Using Google Slides
- Students in pairs or triads, research a topic together dividing the topic into subtopics
- One Student creates a Google Slide and shares with group
- Students are each responsible to present the information on their own Google Slide pages, within the original document
- Remind students that this is an oral presentation, with visual cues
- Show students how to turn on the speaker’s notes, where they can add script to refer to in presentation
Narrative Writing Using Google Document
- Give students a genre of a traditional/parody story to rewrite (Fractured Fairy Tale, Animal Story, Fable)
- Divide students into pairs or triads
- One student creates the doc and shares with the group
- Put a table on the document, so that each student has a place to write
- The (2×6) table could include: Introduction, Setting, Protagonist, Antagonist, Problem, Attempt to Solve 1, Attempt to Solve 2, Attempt to Solve, Solution, Conclusion
- Students divide the task and write in their chosen cell
- Completed text can be copied and pasted into another application
- Choose a poetry form with a distinctive form such as sonnet
- Discuss the characteristics of the poetry form
- Sonnet 14 lines, 3 quatrains, 1 couplet, each line 10 syllables, rhyming scheme of abab, cdcd, efef, gg
- Divide students into groups
- One student creates the document and shares
- Create a table 2×14
- Label Column with rhyming scheme
- Each Student completes their assigned line
Use this poem to create an iMovie.
The Bluebird Poem 1
or on Canada and government
I am Canadian Poem
imovieipad2 for iPads
imovie8greenscreen for Macbooks
- Read the poem
- Chunk the poem into parts (stanzas, couplets, etc)
- Find images for each of the parts (google image search, search tools, usage rights) and save to device
- Create a new iMovie
- IMovie must include:
- Digital stills
- Theme music, which fits the poem
- Sound effects
- Audio of reading of poem, making sure to capture the mood
Concrete or shape poems are an interesting and creative way for students to present their ideas about a topic.
Using Explain Everything, on one slide, students can create a shape and add text around the shape.
Concrete poem in Explain Everything
Poetry writing can be a great Winter writing activity. Using a combination of on line websites and iPad Apps, students can create a poetry booklet . Their portfolio can be presented in a variety of other apps and can include examples of :
1. Haiku 2. Tanka 3. Cinquain 4. Quinzaine 5. Acrostic 6. Clerihew 7. Diamante 8. Parody 9. Contrast 10. Crazy Creature 11. Limerick 12. Concrete 13. Free Verse 14. Sonnet 15. Narrative-Ballad
Use the following to complete your poetry unit
Types of Poems2015
List of Onomatopoeia