Laurie Petrucci from Technology Services spent time this last year presenting to Grade 4 classes regarding Digital Citizenship and Safety. Her pre and post survey results are available in the linked PDF below.
A key take away was before the session that half of our grade 4 students did not know that what they post online could be permanent.
The post survey showed that 91% of responding students believed that their online posts were permanent.
Gr4 Digital Citizenship Online Safety Concluding Summary
For purchases of devices that students will be using there must be a plan in place for explicit teaching of Digital Citizenship and Safety before deployment of the devices. (iPads/Chromebooks/etc)
The Technology Administrator will discuss with the site Administrator prior to purchasing to verify that a plan is in place or will be in place prior to deployment.
Resources to Support
Learn60 Required Digital Citizenship Presentation (Parent and Student PDF)
Learn60 Required Digital Citizenship Presentation (Staff version with presentation notes)
K-5 Digital Literacy Scope and Sequence
Digital Citizenship and Safety resources Moodle
Planned Future Changes
Starting in 2015-2016 year and beyond a plan will need to be in place prior to refreshing of computer labs as per the District replacement cycle. Schools that will be getting a refresh of their lab in the summer or fall of 2015 will be required to have a plan in place that is posted on their school website on a permanent page.
Roles & Responsibilities
School Principals are responsible for including Digital Citizenship and Safety in school planning.
December 6, 2018: Updated format, minor updates to named roles
May 2, 2014: Created
Education of Administrative staff and Technology Services purchasing facilitator.
A few weeks back I did a presentation with the Grade 10 Energetic Learning Campus students about social media. One activity I had the groups do was some advice to themselves when they were younger or advice they would give to a younger sibling (we appended the instructions to a younger sibling that you like) about social media. The theme of the presentation was “Think before you post”. While some tidbits have been omitted, here is the unedited advice from the students
- Remember that everything gets recorded so anyone can find your history
- don’t be gross
- don’t get a cell phone
- No Sending pictures of your junk!
- Don’t be rude to people over the internet or facebook or text it. Be nice
- Be Kind
- Don’t let friends get ahold of phones
- Think twice about what you post
- Don’t go on while intoxicated
- Don’t go on social media
- Think twice before you send
- Pick friends well
- Treat others as you want to be treated
- Don’t put phone # online
- Don’t send pictures of your package…
- No text bullying
- Porn is traceable
- Delete history
- DONT send BAD pic’s!
- Be careful what you say
- No text bullying!
- The emotional pain lasts forever
- Don’t put your number online ->:O
- Oh yeah
- Be careful on what you put on the internet.
- Don’t bully over text or the internet
- Do Not Send Innapproiate Pictures
- Stay off facebook
- Watch what you say
- Don’t bash other people
- Stay in School =)
- Stay logged out of accounts =)
- Keep phone in locker =)
- Don’t put phone number online
- Do not add people you don’t know
- tell them to not buy online drugs
- don’t post/say anything you wouldn’t say to your grandma
- Don’t be mean on FB
- Don’t post inappropriate pictures/stuff
- Don’t use webcams
- Don’t stalk
- Do not ADD strangers regardless of how many mutual friends you have
- Don’t hack
- Don’t lie to your friends
- Don’t talk to terrorists
- Don’t hate
- Don’t give personal information
- Don’t lie about your age/gender
- Be Careful of what you post!
- Dont do stuff to others you dont want done to yourself
- It will never EVER go away
- Be respectful to others =)
- Think before you “SEND”
- you never know where it will go! or who will see it
- Never share wher you live, phone # or personal info
- Don’t Post Gossip & Rumors!
- Allways logout account when done
- Don’t Add people you don’t know
- Don’t hack!
- Don’t Share your password!
- Don’t talk to strangers!
- Privacy on ur profile!
- don’t post personal info
- don’t post naughty photos!
- Dont send nudes.
- Dont send something you’ll regret
- *THINK ABOUT IT
- Add people you know on facebook
- Friendly convo’s
- Stay strong over pressure in sending pixs!
- Geta life dont be a creep!
- Dont make a fool of yourself or others
- Do your work in school
- Dont post pic3 of u smoking drugs
- respect others
- Don’t post bad pictures or of doing drugs or alchol
- no bullying
- Dont give out your password or phone number or adress
- Careful what you post!
- Keep your friends limmitid
- Make sure nothings to personal
- Think before you send or do anything
- Make sure it wont offend anyone
- Be carfull, others might take it the wrong way
- Make sure your elders aprove
- Everything you post is on the internet for good
- Watch for preditores
- Don’t talk to people you don’t know
- Think before you post
- Protect yourself before you wreck yourself
- Consider peoples feelings
- Dont post things that you dont want others to see
- write apropriet things!
- don’t post dirty pictures!
- Dont post mean things about people.
- Don’t make a facebook or tiwtter
- Don’t send dirty messages
- Watch what you post
The presentation I used was media heavy so I won’t post it however I did use some videos from