SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 60 (Peace River North)
POLICY NO.: 7016 DATE APPROVED: 02/25/19
SUBJECT: Energy and Sustainable Conservation
The Board of Education will ensure that every reasonable effort is made to conserve energy and natural resources, by fostering a culture of sustainability and environmental stewardship, through education, equipment upgrades, facility upgrades and behavioural change.
Sustainability means the capacity of a thing, action, activity or process to bemaintained indefinitely and meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Environmental Stewardship refers to responsible use and protection of the natural environment through conservation and sustainable practices.
This policy sets out a philosophy and direction for the district in its working relationships with individual employees, employee groups and students related to energy and sustainable conservation practices. This will ensure the most efficient, effective and economic use of all energy resources, without prejudice to educational programs, while still providing a safe and healthy environment for all the students, staff and other building occupants. The district will encourage the development, where practical, of education programs that increase student and staff awareness of the need for energy conservation.
- The district will develop a strategic energy management plan that will include both short-term and long-term goals and targets that will: reduce operating costs, minimize greenhouse gas emissions, and reduce the environmental impact of district operations
- Through the implementation of this Policy, the district will develop, in accordance with the strategic energy management plan, energy management programs
- The district will encourage and support a district-wide culture of conservation through energy awareness-activities, education programs and training
- In order to support continual improvements to mechanical, electrical and structural systems, any Operating Surplus at the end of each fiscal year in all Utilities accounts (Electricity, Heat, Water/Sewer, Garbage, Recycling and Carbon Offsets) will be appropriated to the next and future fiscal years as a funding source for projects designed to achieve such improvements under the oversight of the Secretary Treasurer.
- Facility Services will maintain accurate records of energy consumption and the cost of energy and will provide periodic reports detailing consumption and costs to the office of the Secretary Treasurer
- Facility Services, working with the school principal, will facilitate energy savings operations at the school level to ensure energy savings while minimizing greenhouse gas emissions
- Facility Services management will ensure that the efforts of all district facilities staff continues to improve the efficiency of mechanical, electrical and structural systems and operational procedures
- Facility Services management will develop and assist in the efficient and effective use of energy systems and practice
- The Secretary-Treasurer will review and authorize these practices, which will then be communicated to all schools and employee groups.
Originally Approved: 02/19 Revised: Policy No. 7016