Welcome back!!! Here a few ideas to help English language learners that may be new to your class, school and community:
- Give students time to adjust and acclimatize to not only a new language but the routines that may be very different from previous school experiences
- It is okay (and normal) for a student to have a “silent period” as they get used to their new classroom and school. They will be learning expectations and routines along with the class.
- If possible take students on a tour of the school a few times teaching words for specific places and people in the school (bathroom, mudroom/boot room, office, principal…)
- Create a book about the school with pre-made sentences: for example “This is my __________”
- Create (or find) an “All About Me” that includes information on family, languages, and interests
- Connect new students with willing peers for partners for seat work, recess/breaks, lunch
Have a great start up!!! Looking forward to working with everyone in throughout the 2018-2019 school year.