It’s always a good idea to keep your browsers up-to-date. Click on the following link to access instructions on how to update your Chrome and Firefox Browsers on a Mac or PC.
Please note that our vendor will be working on the software for our ASSESS portal and it will not be available for use on Friday, October 11th, 2019 from 8am – 12pm.
Please plan accordingly and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.
This requirement has been created in response to an IT General Controls Audit conducted in the fall of 2018. Technology Services has had a robust backup strategy over the past several years This Requirement provides written documentation of the strategy already in place.
Technology Services will backup Server and Data with the following requirements:
• Local Server Machine Backup – Complete machine backup for restore and recovery purposes
• On-site and Off-site DATA backup for retrieval and recovery purposes (student DATA is not backed up offsite)
• Retention to be outlined by Secretary-Treasurer / School Board
• Scheduling and notification by the dedicated applications will be used
• Periodic restore and Data integrity checks to be performed
The purpose is to outline which Data is backed up as defined in Local copy and Offsite copy.
This requirement will impact all virtual and physical File servers, Web server and Database servers as well as virtual dedicated appliances.
Data centre Virtual machines will have a full system Veeam Backup created and stored locally as well as an offsite copy for Archive and recovery purposes.
Selected Virtual Machines will have their Data volumes and or Databases backed up offsite to a central remote server for archival and recovery purposes. Data Only.
Local site servers, non virtual machines, will have a local backup of the machine for recovery purposes. All Data will be backed up.
Local site servers will have an offsite copy, of the data volume only, saved to a central remote server for archive and recovery purposes. No Student data will be backed up.
Roles & Responsibilities
Retention Policy and archival data schedule to be outline by the Secretary-Treasurer and School Board.
LAN Technicians are responsible for the monitoring of their local site full system backups and recovery or restore of Local DATA, including student Data.
IT Manager and WAN are responsible for Data Centre Virtual Machine backups, restores, and offsite DATA backups and restores.
LAN Technicians are responsible for periodically verify the ability to recover Site Servers and Data files under a simulated environment and conditions.
IT Manager and WAN are to periodically verify the ability to recover VMs and/or offsite Data file recovery under a simulated environment and conditions.
Technology Services – IT Manager
Enacted: January 22, 2019
First Draft: December 18, 2018.
Enforcement will be handled either through settings in Windows Serve Backup, Veeam Backup and Recovery, and via DATA only by Backup Assist. Email Verifications will be used for monitoring backup verification completion. Scheduled simulated recoveries will be determined.
Technology Services will require strong passwords and enable security restrictions for Active Directory (District Wide Login) resources with the following minimum requirements:
- Minimum number of characters (to be shared directly to staff)
- Complexity requirements (to be shared directly to staff)
- Maximum Password Age (to be shared directly to staff)
- Enforce Password History (to be shared directly to staff)
- Account Lockout after numerous invalid attempts
For help with changing your password please see http://bit.ly/60chgpass
Password settings are to be used to set minimum requirements for strong passwords. The purpose of strong passwords is to protect organizational and student information.
This requirement will impact all staff Active Directory accounts.
Roles & Responsibilities
All staff are required to protect organizational and student information.
Enacted February 20, 2019
3rd Draft: January 22, 2019 – changed some details to “to be shared directly with staff”
2nd Draft: December 4, 2018 – changed policy to requirement
First Draft: December 3, 2018.
Enforcement will be handled through settings in Active Directory.
Requirement: Granting account access rights to a service that is managed by Technology Services must be requested in writing via Work Order by the Manager responsible or their secretary on their behalf (except where rights are for the secretary then the manager should submit the WO).
Purpose: Provide appropriate rights granted by a manager to a staff member to services needed for employment.
Rationale: This requirement is in response to feedback from an IT General Controls Audit. Requests for rights are to be done in writing by someone with the authority to approve them rather than verbally.
Examples where a Work Order will be required:
- New payroll staff member needs access to accounting system.
- New teacher needs access to MyEd / Assess. A Work Order is required along with the confidentiality agreement (as per current practice).
- A New LA requires school wide access to assess.
- A staff member needs rights to manage a school or district web page.
- Irregular on-boarding of a staff member due to exigent circumstances.
- Specialty rights or access to network folders.
Examples of where a Work Order is not required:
- Regular on-boarding of new staff. Process with HR and TS continues as before.
Roles & Responsibilities
Managers must request rights in writing.
Wide Area Network Specialist or other TS staff creating accounts must require written account rights requests.
Technology Services – Director
Enacted December 22, 2018.
Staff Training and Audit.