Our department is working towards an Environmentally Sustainable Information Technology Policy. We would like your feedback or new ideas in the comments.
Technology Services will:
- Reuse wherever possible (refurbished machines)
- Recycle IT when it is at the end of usable life (data protection / destruction consideration)
- Power management via Software, Group Policy (Active Directory), User Education
- Power bars on your desk rather than hidden so devices can be totally shut off (Vampire electronics such as adapters, chargers etc)
- Virtualization of Servers where appropriate
- Energy Star / Energuide considerations before purchasing technology
- Phase out CRT’s for LCD’s (already working on this as CRT’s are too dangerous to repair)
- Appropriate devices used for the task (ie. mobile device instead of rack mount server for checking email)
- Cleanliness of computers and their surrounds (lack of air flow / dust causes heat which results in higher fan RPM, higher level of failures of hardware)
- Centralize Printing / Models (fewer models means fewer cartridge types, fewer printers means less power usage)
Please add some more in the comments!