Originally Published Oct 2009 – Updated Apr 2012 (Newest items in Bold)
This policy is meant to provide some clear guidelines regarding what technology will be assigned as an End of Life (EoL) asset and no longer supported after the date attached to the specific hardware, OS, or software below. An exponential increase in the demands on Technology Services makes it impossible to support everything. This will also help in planning for technology as locations with EoL devices can prioritize spending based on the policy.
End of Life assets can remain in the district however there will be no priority or funds allocated to their servicing.
Special consideration may be given to assistive technology for 1701 identified students whose IEP requires technology that does not meet the specifications below. This could possibly include conversations with the School Principal/LAT, Technology Services, and Student Support Services regarding the appropriate solution.
As computer technology changes rapidly, the specifications of this policy are to be reviewed yearly by TS management and the SD60 Technology Committee.
Operating Systems (OS) that will no longer be supported
- Mac OS 9 or older (May 2010)
- Windows 2000 or older (May 2010)
- Win2k Server (September 2011)
Hardware Systems that will no longer be supported
- PC – Pentium III and older [Pentium IV, and newer will continue to be supported] (May 2010)
- Mac – G5s, G4s, G3 computers and older (powerbook G4, ibook G3, rainbow imacs, emacs) (May 2010)
- Old Thin Clients (December 2010)
Hardware Devices that will no longer be supported
- Inkjet printers-except drafting plotters (already in effect)
- CRT monitors (already in effect)
Software that will no longer be supported
- Any software that requires an EoL OS listed above (as per date listed on OS above)
- Email Clients (eudora, thunderbird, outlook, entourage, mail etc) (December 2009)
- Report Writer (September 2011 or as BCESIS training allows)
- Success Maker (EoL date TBA hardware dependant works on G4s or PC, server dependent that we will not upgrade)
- Microsoft Office unless needed for job functions (replace with Open Office for new hardware, or cost borne by school/dept for licenses)
- Asgard (July 15, 2011)
- IE 5 (September 2011)
- IE 6 (May 2010)
- Citrix for Library Services (TBA)
- Office X for Mac on WWP laptops (July 2014 [next refresh] or earlier depending on Operating System compatibility)
- Apple Works for Mac (future operating systems will not support the old PowerPC software architecture)
This policy is set to be reviewed December 1st of each year by TS and partners if they wish to share ideas.