Our department is working towards an Environmentally Sustainable Information Technology Policy. We would like your feedback or new ideas in the comments.
Technology Services will:
- Reuse wherever possible (refurbished machines)
- Recycle IT when it is at the end of usable life (data protection / destruction consideration)
- Power management via Software, Group Policy (Active Directory), User Education
- Power bars on your desk rather than hidden so devices can be totally shut off (Vampire electronics such as adapters, chargers etc)
- Virtualization of Servers where appropriate
- Energy Star / Energuide considerations before purchasing technology
- Phase out CRT’s for LCD’s (already working on this as CRT’s are too dangerous to repair)
- Appropriate devices used for the task (ie. mobile device instead of rack mount server for checking email)
- Cleanliness of computers and their surrounds (lack of air flow / dust causes heat which results in higher fan RPM, higher level of failures of hardware)
- Centralize Printing / Models (fewer models means fewer cartridge types, fewer printers means less power usage)
Please add some more in the comments!
In an effort to reduce our waste stream the following policy has been created.
All arms of the Technology Services department will follow these guidelines when purchasing food for sessions.
- Any containers/materials supplied by a caterer to deliver food should be preferably reusable or at least recyclable (no Styrofoam, no non-organic waste, no plastic utensils)
- We are to use reusable plates, dishes and utensils
- Participants of the session will be asked to help clear the dishes to either the SBO or SSS dishwasher and help clean any reusable containers from the caterers
- Plastic containers or paper bags are to be cleaned by session participants and recycled
Caterers are to be informed of this policy. If they cannot meet our policy on certain items we will not purchase those items from them (nb: usually soup in styrofoam containers). If they will not or cannot meet our policy we will discontinue use of that caterer.
Technology services will reduce our environmental footprint whenever possible. Our department will be environmentally and fiscally sustainability. With this in mind we will do the following:
-reuse or sell devices when appropriate rather than recycling
-recycle computer parts when they reach an end of life and cannot be reused or sold. (before recycling a hard drive it must be drilled/destroyed or seven+ cycle wiped)
-choose components that can limit or reduce power consumption
-limit waste: reduce, reuse, and recycle any materials (paper, plastic, cardboard, boxboard etc) that enter our shop
-virtualize servers instead of purchasing new ones where appropriate
-turn off non essential services and hardware over breaks
-unplug charging adapters that aren’t in use