There is some early work toward possibly re-routing the Trans Canada Trail, which currently runs along the Alaska Highway through Fort St John, to along the City of Fort St John bypass trail. This would be the same trail that Walk the Solar System is on.
If you would like to write a letter of support to change the Trans Canada Trail from the Alaska Highway to the City of Fort St John bypass trail including Walk the Solar System you can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will pass it along to the Trans Canada Trails Facilitator for Trails BC.
Mrs. Tacey’s primary class from Bert Ambrose has sent along this Halloween picture of the moon!
We are now listed on the wikipedia page for scale models of solar systems around the world!
All of the signs are up! Media Interviews and Press Release went out from the City today. Great comments from many people so far.
With Darren Thompson’s help (@boosterjuicefsj) the locations will be added to Foursquare. Let’s see who can check in at each site and become mayor of the solar system!
Well this calls for a bike ride! The first of the Walk the Solar System signs are in place!
The signs have been completed and dropped off with the City of Fort St John Public Works for installation!
The sign specs have been delivered to the sign shop and we hope to have them completed to hand over to the City staff for installation in mid June!
We will also be creating some other signs which explain the project that will include all the sponsor logos. These project description signs will be at one or two key locations on the city trail system along the path. We will also likely create some smaller signs to help at some of the trail intersections to point people in the right direction so they can get to the next solar bodies.
If there are other companies that would like to participate in the program, their logos can be added to the project description signs. For more information on sponsoring the project please see http://www.prn.bc.ca/projects/solar/?page_id=10
Thank you to Spectra Energy for sponsoring the Neptune sign! With the sponsorship of the Neptune sign we now have all 11 solar body signs sponsored!
Thank you to McElhanney Geomatics for sponsoring the Pluto & Kuiper Belt Objects Sign!
Thank you to RE/MAX Action Realty for sponsoring the Mars sign!
Thank you to the Northern Metalic Group of Companies for their sponsorship of the Mercury Sign!
Thank you to North Peace Savings and Credit Union for sponsoring the Venus Sign!
Thank you to Booster Juice for sponsoring the Ceres and the Asteroid Belt Sign!
Thank you to PriceSmart Foods for sponsoring the Saturn sign!
Thank you to Northern Valve Services for sponsoring the Jupiter sign!
Thank you to Home Hardware for sponsoring the Sun sign!
Thank you to Urban Systems for their sponsorship of the Uranus sign!
I’d like to thank the Northern Environmental Action Team for sponsoring the Earth sign!
I will be speaking with classrooms and asking for their help to create the fun facts for each body listed in the Solar System Bodies pages. For this projects students will:
- Research from multiple sources including texts, library resources, and internet
- Verify – each fact needs to be independently verified from a different source
- Write – comment on the page for the body being researched. Include the Fun Fact as it would go on the sign, as well as the sources used to find and verify the Fun Fact.
Economy of words is important. Wherever possible write the fun fact in a short sentence. There will only be space for two to four Fun Facts on each sign.
Fortunately all the compiled fun facts will be available on the page for the solar body. From these we will pick which goes onto the sign. Fun facts can be submitted at any time, but for completion of signs before the summer, I would ask that you submit yours by the middle of May.
For submission via page commenting please,
- Comment on the page your fun fact is about (hover over Solar System Bodies in the menu to see all the different pages)
- only include your first name and your school name or initials (ie Jarrod RO)
- use your teacher’s email address when asked
- include your fun fact and sources in the comments section.
- note that comments are moderated so they won’t show up on the page until I’ve had a chance to read and approve them.
An example will be included in the comments for this post.
Met with Don and Les with the city to go over the sample sign and discuss next steps.
The sample was well received! We identified a few things for the production signs as follows:
- Aluminum signs with UV coating, and and anti-vandalism coating if available
- reduce size of solar body symbol
- increase font size of the stats
- QR code to point to specific page for the solar body
- Arrow that will point to next and previous body along with its symbol and distance in metres
- Keep spacing above City logo and below word SOLAR as it will be good for bolts.
- adjust blue colour on SD60 logo
- add Type: Star (or Type: Planet, Dwarf Planet etc)
- Find class and or students to help with researching, writing, and verifying the Fun Facts for each body
- Secure sponsorships for each sign
- GPS and Paint the locations on the path so that they are clear