POLICY NO.: 7014 DATE APPROVED: 04-10-2008
SUBJECT: Transportation-Independent Contractors/Contract Drivers/Operating Costs
The Board will clarify the roles, responsibilities and contract rates between the Board and the contractors who provide contracted school bus transportation services to the school district.
1. Contractors will not be permitted to sell their bus contracts, in whole or in part, without first receiving Board approval. Should the Board decide not to approve the sale, the Board shall state its reason(s).
2. The number of buses allowed per contractor shall not exceed five.
3. If a contractor leaves the North Peace Area, he/she must give up his/her bus contract.
4. Before purchase of a new bus, the contractor must consult with the School District Transportation Supervisor to determine future bussing needs, which could indicate the size and need for a bus.
5. The Board expects all school bus drivers who work for the school district to retire at the age of 65.
a) retirement shall normally be at the end of the school year in which the contract driver attains the age of 65.
b) a contract driver, who reaches retirement age may be offered a term contract where the Board determines that the contractors continued services are deemed to be in the best interests of the school district.
c) a retirement date may be extended on a year-by-year basis by a specific resolution of the Board, but is not to exceed age 67. The Board will require a recommendation from the School District Transportation Supervisor on the ability of the driver to continue in the position.
6. The Board considers safety to be paramount-it is expected that all safety aspects will be enforced.