What do we do?
The English Language Learner Support teachers are responsible for assisting schools in providing for the educational needs of English Language Learners (ELLs).
Some of the services we provide may include:
* assess students who may be having difficulty in the classroom because their primary language is not English (ESL) or is a non-standard dialect (ESD);
* diagnose language related problems and help determine the needs of the student;
* assist in the development of a program or an Annual Eduction Plan (AEP) for each student, in consultation with Classroom Teachers, Learning Assistance Teachers, Educational Assistants, students and parents; write the AEP for all ELL students in the district (with the exception of Prespatou);
* provide support for EAs working with ELL/ESD students;
* work directly with students or small groups;
* help monitor progress and determine when ELL support can be terminated;
* provide, on request, training and in-service to school staffs working with ELL/ESD students;
* promote a positive attitude within SD 60 towards multiculturalism in general, and towards ELL/ESD students in particular.
Please remember that referrals should be made through the LAT.
The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts – CS Lewis
For more detailed information about our ELL department please click on link below